If you see this message when trying to connect from VNC Viewer, please check the following:
- Check that the remote computer is connected to the Internet. If it isn't, you won't be able to connect.
- It may be that the remote computer is asleep. It is advisable to prevent a remote computer sleeping or hibernating while remote access is required:
- Windows: In Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps, make sure Put the computer to sleep when plugged in is Never.
- Mac: In System Preferences > Energy Saver, make sure Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off is selected.
- If you have disabled cloud connections in VNC Server's Options dialog, under the Connections heading. Make sure this is checked:
- You may have the wrong team selected in VNC Viewer. Please ensure you have selected the correct team for the computer to which you want to connect.
- If you have purchased a subscription but did not subscribe from within your trial team, you will need to join your computer(s) to the new, paid-for team.
- If you are trying to connect to VNC Server on Linux, check that Wayland is disabled
VNC Server should be functioning correctly if there is a green tick (and no error messages) displayed in its Status dialog:
Ensure that you also see your computer's name, and your Team name, listed in the Connectivity section. If you don't please re-join it as shown here: How do I rejoin a VNC Server to the cloud, or change which team VNC Server belongs to?
Note: you may need to remove the existing entry using the Computers page of the online portal first.
Please also check there are no service issues on the RealVNC status page
As a final thing to try, please try restarting VNC Server and/or the computer running VNC Server.
- In Windows, this can be done via the Services utility.
- For Mac/Linux, right click the VNC Server icon in the system tray (by the clock), and click Stop VNC Server. Then, launch VNC Server from your Applications menu.
If you still have problems, and have a Professional or Enterprise subscription, please submit a support request. Please attach the VNC Server diagnostics (VNC Server > Information Center > Diagnostics > Save As...).