Yes, if you have an Enterprise subscription and the remote computer running VNC Server is connected to the Internet, and able to communicate with the RealVNC cloud service.
This will save you having to manually re-apply the license key each time you renew.
To deploy VNC Server with cloud registration, but not cloud connectivity, please follow below steps.
- Install VNC Server, either manually, or by deploying an MSI. For more information about deploying using an MSI, please see: https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/msi.html
- Once VNC Server is installed, you will need to run a command to join the computer to the cloud. This can be achieved using a batch script. Please note, the command needs to be run with Administrator privileges. A sample command is
C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC Server\vncserver,exe -service -joincloud TOKEN -joinname FRIENDLY-NAME,where TOKEN is obtained from the Deployment page of your RealVNC account (https://manage.realvnc.com).
The -joinname parameter is optional, and allows you to specify the name to use on the team in place of the default, which is the computer's hostname. https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/faq/join-computer.html#adding-a-computer-at-the-command-line-in-bulk-or-remotely
- The previous step will enable automatic relicensing via the cloud (the computer will now be visible on the Computers page of the RealVNC portal), but will also enable cloud connectivity. To disable cloud connectivity, set the parameter AllowCloudRfb to False (or 0 if setting in the Registry). This can be achieved by either:
- using Group Policy templates https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/policy.html
- in the Registry as a String value, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealVNC\vncserver or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\RealVNC\vncserver
- opening VNC Server's Options dialog via the tray icon and:
- selecting the Connections tab and unchecking Allow cloud connections; or
- selecting the Expert tab and setting AllowCloudRFB to false
Having completed the above steps, VNC Server will contact the RealVNC cloud service periodically to confirm that a valid subscription is in place. When a subscription is renewed, there is no need to apply your latest license key.