Under Windows and Mac, you typically operate the two principal VNC Connect programs; that is:
- VNC Server, on the computer you want to control
- VNC Viewer, on the device you want to control from
...using standard GUI widgets. However, you can operate these programs from the command line if you wish.
Under Linux, you typically operate programs from the command line.
To see how to start and stop VNC Server and VNC Viewer, and perform numerous other operations at the command line:
- Under Windows, visit https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/windows-start-stop.html.
- Under Mac, visit https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/mac-start-stop.html.
- Under Linux and Raspberry Pi, visit https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/unix-start-stop.html.
For information on other VNC Connect programs (such as vnclicense, vncpasswd, vncserver-virtual etc), visit https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/docs/vnc-apps.html.